.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

Well, as it appears, we're moving to Dubai.

Thankfully Benjamin no longer calls it Boo-bai.  He's a preschooler now (tear) and call call things by their proper names.

We visited Dubai two years ago (hence the cutesy way of pronouncing Dubai), and I recorded our travels here.  Benjamin wasn't even two years old, a second baby wasn't even being talked about, and we were still very new to Egypt.  Time marches on.

And now we find ourselves moving there...


Oh, Dubai, that old place again?

I'm currently writing this as both of my children are asleep.  We spent the morning swimming at the Maadi House pool (thanks to my awesome friends who invite us!).  Benny is napping on the couch; Coco is in her swing.  I have a pie cooking in the oven, and the house is lovely and quiet.  Fans are providing a cool breeze and the pleasant sounds of summer.  All is well in my world right now.  Which makes me panic and think "We can't leave Egypt!  I love it here!!!"

Then we hear reports about how the second revolution is in the midst, how prices of everything are increasing, and the people of Egypt are on the midst of even more economic hardships.  Without trying to sound trite, for lack of a better way to say it (Baby brain, dang it!  I'm tired!)  my heart goes out to all Egypt's citizens.  They're in for some rough (well, rougher) times ahead.  Due to political uncertainty here, and a lot of other reasons, it's time we say ma'a salama to Egypt.  I do need to add that we have never felt unsafe here. We're just over the constant possibility of something happening.  I wrote about it here.  Also, life in Egypt (even for an expat) is difficult.  When I walk Benjamin to his school (or anywhere) we are constantly dodging piles of garbage.  I always wear my sunglasses because I don't like making eye contact with men on the street.  I get harassed too frequently, and it's too hot to put up with anyone's crap...


After all the negative being listed I also need to mention how much I really have loved living in Egypt.  I wouldn't trade our time here for anything.  I love all of the friends we have made here.  It's amazing how quickly you develop life long friendships when you live overseas.  I love how kind and hilarious a lot of Egyptians are.  You see some people who have absolutely nothing, living in total poverty, and yet they are always smiling.  There is a man (expats here will know him as the flute guy on Road 9) who carves flutes out of reeds.  I think I have at least 5 flutes that he has given Benjamin for free.  He stops traffic so the mom's crossing the street can safely bring their kids to nursery.  It's things like that, and people like him, that helped me fall in love with living here.  I'm told "welcome to Egypt!" at least once a week by people on the street.  And, this is the best part, Egyptians absolutely love children and babies.  Egypt is a place where people will warmly greet your children, grown men will be excited to see you have a baby and tell you congratulations, and where you're welcomed into restaurants (and airplanes! Oh how I love you Egypt Air). Where as you're given the "you had better keep that germ factory quiet" look in an American restaurant or airplane.

I also can't deny that living in a country that founded civilization as we know it isn't extremely cool.  We're living where Moses walked; we're living where Mary, Joseph and Christ walked- and people who lived hundreds of years before they were even born.  It's has been amazing living in a place that is centuries old.  Where we're living is surrounded by ancient history.  I could hop in a car and see the Giza Pyramids- a place where people spend their lives saving to go see- at anytime.  When you drive from the airport to our apartment you pass ancient Roman aqueducts and The Citadel (built during the time of the Crusades).

My mother in law, Seth and I (and Colette) in Coptic Cairo.  Where you can see where the Holy Family stayed while in exile in Egypt. 




However, I'm excited to move to one of the most Western places in the Middle East. I remember walking around in one of the malls in Dubai and forgetting where I was; thinking for a second that I was back in Houston.  I'm excited to move into an area that has pools and parks. I'm so excited to move into an area that's clean.  Basically, we're movin' to the Burbs...and I can't wait to be cookie cutter.  Yea, I said it.  Cookie cutter looks pretty awesome right about now.

I'm pretty scared about the cost of living.  Everything is available there (Gap, Gymboree, Clinique- my three essentials in this phase in my life), but you're paying more for them than you would in the US.  I bought Benjamin a shirt at the Gap that was $30.  I didn't realize until much later that I was using the Egyptian exchange vs the Emirates (7 Egyptian Pounds: 1 USD, 3.65 DHS: 1 USD).  Whoops!

Livin' the high life y'all

I'm scared of the heat.  Oh how I hate summer.  I'm from Louisiana, I lived in Houston for 6 years, I now live in Egypt and I'm moving to Dubai.  In July. Or August. Where it can get 117 with 99% humidity.  Why does everything bad always happen to me????!!!!  WHY?!!

Just trying to get my first world problems reprogrammed.



So, ma'a salama to Egypt.  We have loved living here, and have made memories to last a lifetime.

Colette is waiving goodbye from the belly


No comments:

Post a Comment