.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

One year here


We made it! We survived our first year in Egypt.

It has taken some time to feel at home here.  Even the feeling of being at home can change in an instant as well, so we're still adjusting.  However, it's a night and day difference from when we first landed.  I remember when I had gathered the courage to walk with Benjamin around our block, and now we're walking all over.  It's still odd when I realize that this is our life.  We live in Africa, in the Middle East, in the middle of a country in political upheaval and in a culture that's night and day from what we're used to.  Then again we lead very normal lives, so our day to day life is very much like what it would be in the US.  It's not like we walk out the door and have to avoid droves of protesters and tanks (which is what I suspect my mom thinks happens).  I run errands in the day, Benjamin goes to Nursery School and Seth goes to work.  I take Benny to play dates, swim lessons and get home and cook dinner.  Not at all unlike what we would be doing if we lived in the US. 
Okay, maybe we're doing stuff that's a tad different from back home.
Sunset on The Nile.  Feluccas need to be on the Mississippi.


So what has a year brought us?  New experiences, friends and travel all from The Far Side of the World (Take it away Coral Reefers)...



In a year we moved into our first apartment, lived there for a year, and it grew to become home.  We had to move because of new work orders saying we couldn't live on the ground (aka first) floor. So now we're up on the 6th floor in a new apartment that we really enjoy.  I had a goal to make this place feel more like home, so I got the MBR and Benjamin's room painted.  It has made a big difference in making this new apartment feel more lived in as opposed to a temporary dwelling.

In a year we traveled to Dubai, Ain Soukna (a bunch of times as it's only an hour away), El Gouna and back to the US for Christmas.  A lot of time spent on desert roads and in airplanes (hooray for silver status, c'mon gold!).  I absolutely love that aspect of our life.  Traveling is one of the reasons we wanted to move here.

The Fam in front of the Burj and Dubai Mall
103 degrees and 100% humidity?!  I'm still runnin around like a crazy man, and Mom you get to do the same.
The B's at the Stella Beach Club in Ain


In a year Benjamin started a new nursery school.  He loves it and he loves his teachers.  A great thing about his school is that we walk to it every morning and afternoon.  No more car service getting there!

Halloween party at school. That's Benny's buddy Noah in the picture.  His teacher, Ms Fahira, is on the left.
In a year I have become more money savvy when it comes to purchasing produce, riding in taxis and taking caution when giving money to just about everyone here.  I have grown jaded (not fully) and assume everyone is out to cheat us.  Cause yea, they pretty much are.  I have a long cautionary tale of our dealing with a shop on Road 9 and a fan, but I wont get into the details.  It's boring, it's long, it's back and forth and it gives me the mad rage.   Just know that Seth and I were cheated out of $100 and I wont rest until the shop owner's thief ass gives it to me.  His shop has been closed for a month, and we routinely stalk it when we're on Road 9.



In a year I have become sick and tired of the stares, the winks, the kissy sounds, the whispering, and the over all creepiness of a lot of Egyptian men.  It's not just expat women who are sexually harassed, it's a common thing to even veiled women.  It's unacceptable and a huge problem in Egypt.  I actually broke down crying in our kitchen one afternoon after having a horrible morning of being called at, stared at, etc. It's just gross and makes you feel terrible.  It's top of the list (neck and neck with being constantly cheated) of things I do not like about living here. But, like any bad situation sometimes you can find a funny moment. Like when I was walking home and this had to be 13 year old kid called out to me and asked if I wanted "the sex".  Just the site of a skinny little nerdy kid asking in broken English if I wanted "the sex" made me laugh a good bit.

Egyptian kids smoke, so I guess that makes them ready for "the sex" at a pretty early age.  They all adult and stuff. 
In a year I have become fluent in Egyptian Arabic.  Okay, lies.  But just ask Benny what to say.  He knows all...
Ziak? Queis! Humdelah.  Mooz be laben? La, Meyer.  Shokran.
Because, seriously, the child is full on Egyptian sometimes.  What's his favorite book?





What's his favorite thing to eat?

And the man digs a ride on The Nile


And hanging out with Sara

In a year I have been so fortunate to have made some great friends.  Women who I am so happy to call friends.  I didn't know what to expect when it came to this expat life, especially with making amigas, and have been so glad that the people I have met have been nothing but helpful and supportive.  And who can forget Miami and Rockin Sushi Nights?! What what!

And I just realized expats (and mom's) may not get the Bridesmaid's reference.  Just know what I just wrote is supposed to be funny.  

Seth's year has been up and down.  He has been extremely busy at work, so he is looking forward to our upcoming vacation back home.
Want to help Dad file his TPS reports?  

And Seth still cycles with his group on Friday mornings.  Geaux Dad!



We have had our up's and down's.  We have had moments of frustration, joy, tears and laughter. I wouldn't change a thing about our expat life- except my $100.  I want that $100 back pronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment